Colonel Stewart J. Parker is the Vice Commander, 492d Special Operations Wing (SOW) located at Hurlburt Field, Florida. The 492 SOW is the Air Force’s only Irregular Warfare wing employing Combat Aviation Advisors and Non-Standard Aviation worldwide in support of national and theater-level strategic objectives. The 492 SOW is additionally responsible for the training and education of Special Operations Forces (SOF) personnel, innovation, development, and operational testing in support of Air Force Special Operations Command. His units are tasked with the mission qualification training and continuation training in SOF aviation platforms to include AC-130J, A-29, AC-208, MC-130J, CV-22, C-145, C-146, MQ-9, U-28A and small unmanned aerial systems (SUAS). With an annual budget of $120 million, the 492 SOW manages and utilizes state-of-the-art simulators valued at over $400 million, develops and implements cutting-edge curriculum, and develops world-class Combat Aviation Advisors to meet the command’s operational and training requirements.
Colonel Parker was commissioned through the US Air Force Academy in May 2002. He is qualified as a jumpmaster, combat diver, and joint terminal attack control instructor and served as Air Force Special Operations Command’s subject matter expert on fire support. He advised senior leaders on tactics, techniques and procedures applied in terminal control operations, implemented multiple technological innovations, and oversaw US Special Operations Command’s fire support training program.
2002 Bachelor of Science, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
2003 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2013 Masters in Business Administration, Trident University, Calif.
2015 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2019 Joint and Combined Warfighter Course, National Defense University, Norfolk, Virg.
1. Jul 2002 - Dec 2004, Student, Combat Control Training Pipeline, various locations
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
2. Dec 2004 - Aug 2008, Flight Commander and Assistant Director of Operations, 21st Special Tactics Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
3. Aug 2008 - May 2009, Deputy Director, Air-to-Ground Integration Branch, Operations Directorate, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. Jun 2009 - Aug 2010, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. Aug 2010 - Apr 2012, Director, Special Tactics Assessments, 371st Special Operations Combat Training Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. May 2012 - Jul 2014, Director of Operations, 23d Special Tactics Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. Jul 2014 - Jun 2015, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. Jun 2015 - Jun 2017, Commander, 21st Special Tactics Squadron, Pope Airfield, N.C.
9. Jun 2017 - Jul 2019, Action Officer, Deputy Director for Special Operations, Joint Staff, Wash D.C.
10. Aug 2019 - June 2020, Senior Military Fellow, Center for a New American Security, Wash D.C.
11. June 2020 - Aug 2021, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. Aug 2021 – Jul 2022, Deputy Commander, 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. Aug 2022 – Present, Vice Commander, 492d Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star with Valor Device and one Oak Leaf Cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
2006 US Air Force Special Tactics Officer of the Year
2007 US Air Force Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award, Junior Officer Category
2008 US Air Force Special Operations Company Grade Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 2002
First Lieutenant May 2004
Captain May 2006
Major May 2012
Lieutenant Colonel Jan 2016
Colonel May 2021